VSC alpha build updates #13 + Environment barriers WIP

Information about releases, changelog and roadmap.

Postby Zayfod » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Ahoj everyone, we've published another update...

Rubber tyres are now nice and shiny, Kerbs UV updates to help track modding through mirroring, and Garage and Inventory icons get small update.

Build #2204341
VSC rev 0.9.9.2692.1645
Fixed uv map on curves' kerbs
Modified materials on rims and rubber tires
Modified procedural icons generation

Plus, a sneak peek at what we are working on next for Environment Assets - Barriers.

Work on barrier collision geometry...

Barriers in the store...

Open for discussion here.

Re: VSC alpha build updates #13 + Environment barriers WIP

Postby Hans213 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi Dev's,

Here's my feedback on the barriers WIP:
  • 1) I hope all barriers and guardrails are in the editor free to place everywhere on the table. It is awesome to create a track this way, instead of a fixed placement relative to the track by the software.
  • 2) I think there is a difference in physics between concrete barriers, tire barriers and guardrails. Tire barriers absorbe the cars speed and mass. So the car will be "parked" against the barrier. While concrete barriers will guide the car to stay on track like on high speed ovals. And there are also guardrails whose physics are in between concrete barriers and tire barriers.
  • 3) I think the tire barriers should not be placed to near the track. Or better at a variable distance. Because crashed slot cars could easily block the road for there opponents. And tire barriers are mostly placed in the curve at the end of a long straight in two or more rows.
  • 4) It's very beautiful and realisic if the ground in front of concrete barriers, tire barriers and guardrails could be made of sand, gritt or track (asphalt) textures. Grass is possible on long straights only.
  • 5) Tire barriers are often placed in front of concrete barriers or guardrails.
  • 6) Last time I watched carefully how real slotcars without magnets deslot and came to the following conclusion:
    When slotcars deslot they mostly go straight on against a wall or barrier. Thumbling slotcars is very exceptional and a bit arcade looking. I think a physics change is needed here. (Slot cars with strong magnets will thumble more due to there high cornering speed.)
  • 7) Two-sided concrete barriers could also be placed near straight track parts as a wall between a back and forth straight track.
  • 8) Concrete barriers could also be placed around the complete track like at Indie500 and Nascar ovals.
  • 9) Concrete barriers and guardrails can also have a optional high gauze fence on top of it. That will look awesome.
  • 10) Hopefully are they all moddeble and future Steam Workshop supported.
  • 11) I hope there will be tire barriers, concrete barriers and guardrails with optional high gauze fence on the last two.
I hope you will read my feedback in time to give a reply.

Greetings,
Hans
Last edited by Hans213 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Hans213 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:32 pm

No response/discussion here? :cry:
I'll try the Steam forum.

Postby enrico » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:51 am

Hi Hans213,
thank you for your feedback.
We think that there are many interesting ideas in your proposal.
We'll certainly take all of them in account for the future development of VSC, but unfortunately we probably won't be able to work on any of them in the near future.

Return to “Releases”